UNCW practices in Banks Channel, just inside of Wrightsville Beach
, borrowing boats on a permissive basis from Carolina Yacht Club, just a fifteen minute drive from the center of the University.
View Larger Map
- UNCW has had sailors consistently competing at college regattas for several decades.
- The Sailing Team in its current form has competed in ICSA and been an officially sanctioned part of UNCW since 2003. Past results can be seen in the results archive.
- UNCW competes in the South Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association (North Division), and has been consistently qualifying for SAISA dinghy championships and various inter-sectionals.
- UNCW tries to travel to 5 or so competitions a semester.
- Local sailing/yacht clubs are aware of the team and prefer to hire UNCW sailors for summer work.
- Because of the UNCW's close proximity to international calibre conditions, it is possible to arrange quick access to sailing in the ocean for both UNCW students as well as visiting athletes.
- Potential local facilities include boat storage within a 20 minute sail of the Atlantic Ocean, a 2 ton hoist, local marine businesses, etc.
- After struggling through some organizational difficulties, competitive sailors who wish to go to regattas and compete have finally found a permanent home as the sports club "Sailing Team" under the Department of Campus Recreation. UNCW has consistently been the highest placing North Carolina representative at college regattas the past 10+ years.
- Past UNCW sailing alumni of note include Scott Ensign, Glenn Walker, Rob Wright, Brandon Johnson, and Oliver Evans.
- Coaching for the last 10+ years has been provided largely by Rick Campbell, faculty within Health and Applied Human Sciences. Additional coaching has been provided by the North Carolina Sailing Foundation.
- Current contact information is best found through the Team's information page, and if you have any trouble reaching them contact NCSF at and we will be able to reach the current representatives.
Support the Team:
- You can give towards the team by either donating directly to UNCW, (but best to contact current members/coaches to make sure the money goes through the right channel), or
- by earmarking a contribution to NCSF for UNCW.